The basilica dedicated to St. Andrew was built between 1219 and 1227, by Cardinal Guala Bicchieri, it is likely that Benedict Antelami has contributed to the design and creation of sculptures that decorate the facade of the church. The St. Andrew’s is definitely one of the Italian architectural works, which are closest to the French Gothic style.
The Franco-Burgundian influence is obvious: the two towers side by side to side (extremely rare in Italy).
The dome has an octagonal shape, while the interior has a Latin cross, with space reserved for the rectangular choir.
To see, the inlays are figured in 1511, by P. Bag. They are found in the choir of St. Andrew.